Our History - by Odie Mae Long​


The following history was submitted by Odie Mae Long, Church Historian.

It all began in 1830, as a small family or community log church and has

been growing ever since. Originally located down on Little River near
Evans Bridge, the church took it’s name from the river. 

In 1839, twelve acres of land was deeded to the trustees of Little River

Church from John P. Winn, the same property where the church and
cemetery are still located. The first log building at this location served
as both school and church for the next fifteen years. 

Sometime soon afterward, and open air arbor was built in the flat that is now our parking lot and camp meetings were begun as tents or small cabins were built around the arbor and families came and camped for ten days and held worship services four times each day.

In 1854, a new church building was erected on the knoll above the arbor, and is the same sanctuary we worship in today.

Cherokee County built a second school house on church property in 1891-92, and grades 1-7 were taught in this one room school until 1940, and the Masons used the second floor as their meeting place.

During these early years, Sunday School met every Sunday, but worship services were held only once a month, as the pastor served 4 or more churches on his circuit. But the people were faithful and filled with spirit & ambition, and LRUMC continued to grow. 

At a later date, a Sunday School addition was added to the rear of the church, then the church was remodeled and brick veneered. Over a period of time gas heat and electricity were added and a fellowship hall was built, with kitchen and bathroom facilities. Finally, air conditioning was added. Finally, came the large Education Building in 1965, which tied the Fellowship Hall to the Sanctuary.

 
-Odie Mae has put together an incredibly detailed Church History book. It is available through the church.
Here is a copy of With Faith & Vision by Odie Mae Long.

1920 School Children

In the late 1800's, Little River had a schoolhouse on it's property, one of the first in Cherokee County.

This is the teacher & class circa 1920.

1928 LRUMC Membership

1950's Fellowship Hall Complettion

The Sanctuary Transformation

Church Directories

1968

1969

1987

1989

1997

1998

1999

2000

2007

2012